Broccoli is an amazing vegetable and it is one of the most popular veggies in keto or low-carb kitchen. With 4% carbohydrates, it can easily substitute for potatoes, pasta, and rice in several ways.
So, if you are following the Keto diet, then you should try out broccoli cheddar soup. It is the ultimate cheesy creamy comfort served in a bowl. It is not just low-carb; however, super easy and quick to make. This velvety soup would warm you up, hence satisfaction guaranteed.
Get to know more about broccoli cheddar soup:
Broccoli cheddar soup is what it sounds like: It is a comforting soup of pureed broccoli, as well as broth with cheddar cheese. Though the broccoli is pureed, it has some texture in it.
A few important things are there that will make this soup special. They are:
• Blanch your broccoli: I personally prefer blanching the broccoli before I add it to my soup. Though it’s an additional step. However, it implies you can control its texture in your finished soup.
• Make it thick: I prefer thick broccoli cheddar soup. So, I add all-purpose flour that helps in thickening the soup and making it creamier. (However, if you want to make this soup low-carb or gluten-free, then don’t add flour. Rather add 1 tablespoon cornstarch or more as required).
• Save a few florets of broccoli for the garnishing purpose: I save a few blanched florets for the garnishing purpose. They add a colorful and crunchy contrast to the pureed soup bowl.
• Broccoli 1
• Olive oil 1 tablespoon
• Butter 2 oz.
• Roughly chopped red onion 1
• Chopped garlic cloves 3
• Salt ½ teaspoon
• Cayenne pepper 1 pinch
• Paprika powder ½ teaspoon
• Ground black pepper ¼ teaspoon
• Shredded cheddar cheese 1 cup
• Heavy whipping cream 1 cup
• Water or chicken broth 2 cups
Instructions to follow:
• First clean and cut your broccoli. Separate the florets of the broccoli from the stalk. Cut the broccoli florets into small pieces and roughly chop its stalk.
• In a saucepan or pot, heat olive oil with 1/3 of the butter. Once melted, add broccoli stalks and chopped onion. On medium flame, fry them until they start looking brown. Add chopped garlic at this stage and keep frying until everything gets some nice color.
• Add cayenne pepper, paprika, pepper, and salt for seasoning. Combine everything well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
• Time for adding the broth. Stir well. Now cover and cook for around 5 minutes.
• Now transfer the cooked veggies into your food processor and just pulse. You need to add the broth slowly and keep mixing everything until you get a creamy, smooth soup.
• In the same saucepan, heat the remaining butter and start frying the broccoli florets. Don’t move your broccoli around to get a nice roasted flavor.
• Now pour the blended mixture into the pot through a sieve. Combine well. Add more pepper and salt if required. If your soup looks too thick, add some water.
• Boil the mixture and simmer it for a few minutes.
• Lastly, add cheese and cream and mix well. Make sure your cheese has melted properly.
• Serve it hot and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.
I hope you’ll like this soup.
Last Updated on August 28, 2021