Jollof, also known as jollof rice, is a West African rice dish. In most cases, the dish is made in a single pot with long-grain rice, tomatoes, onions, spices, vegetables, and meat, though the ingredients and preparation methods vary by region. It’s very simple and inexpensive, and the rich texture and flavour of this rice are simply incredible.
It is critical to create a flavour base when cooking Jollof rice. Don’t rush into dumping your ingredients into the pot; otherwise, you’ll end up with what we call a “concoction.” Each step is important, so make an effort to complete each one thoroughly.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
• 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped
• 1/3 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
• 14 ounces (395 g) diced tomato, 2 cans
• Take 1 can tomato paste, 6 oz (170 g)
• 1 habanero pepper
• 2 tsp curry powder
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
• 3 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
• 2 .5 cup rinsed long grain rice
• 1 cup frozen mixed vegetable(150 g)
• 1 ½ cups water(360 mL)
• In a blender, combine the onions and 2 tablespoons of oil and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
• In a blender, combine the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and habanero pepper and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
• In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the remaining 13 cup (80 ml) oil over medium heat.
• Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion puree and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the water has evaporated and the puree is beginning to brown.
• Combine the tomato puree, curry powder, garlic powder, ginger, dried herbs, and crushed bouillon chicken cubes in a mixing bowl. Now, you have to cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the stew has reduced by half and turned a deep red colour.
• Combine the rice, mixed vegetables, and water in a mixing bowl. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and cover with foil and a lid. Simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
• Enjoy this delicious recipe and have celebrations with your family and friends.
• To get the most out of your jollof rice, choose a high-quality basmati rice. It has a significant impact on the final texture. Personally, I prefer sella parboiled Extra Long Basmati Rice. It’s fantastic.
• The best thing that can happen to your jollof rice is for the grains to be well separated. Mushy Jollof is not at all appealing. There are a few things to keep in mind in order to accomplish this.
• To get that authentic taste when cooking Jollof Rice in general, choose the best variety of Peppers for this recipe. I recommend using Pimento pepper.
• It is acceptable to include vegetables such as sweet corn, green beans, sweet peas, and diced bell peppers.
Last Updated on August 12, 2021