Tehri is a very delicious feast renowned in Lucknow. Almost every day you can see people adding it to their diet here. It’s wholesome, easy and quick feast people here prefer the most. It’s nonetheless prepared from rice and varieties of veggies. It can be served with yoghurt, raita and salads. Coming to the rice part it’s up to each individual what the rice they are opting for. Any kind of rice will be wholesome for making this exceptional feast called Tehri. Even I do prefer it the most. Especially when I feel hungry I prepare the ingredients and start making them. It would be a great happiness for me if people from each nook and corner try this out as a meritorious recipe. It’s amazing. So now let’s begin the session.
The ingredients that we need are quite simple and easy to get:
• Rice (you have to take that much rice you take for your family while making rice in your daily life.) I’m taking two medium-size bowls of properly washed rice.
• In veggies, you can add whatever you want to add just like potatoes, tomatoes, capsicum, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, beans and garnishing coriander leaves.
• I’m adding one bowl of finely chopped cauliflower,
• Finely chopped one bowl of potatoes,
• Finely chopped one bowl of tomatoes,
• Finely chopped capsicum one bowl,
• Finely chopped two onions,
• Garlic, ginger and green chillies finely chopped,
• Cumin seed 1-2 pinch,
• Cooking oil 5-6 spoons,
• Salt according to your taste,
• Vegetable spices,
• Ground vegetable spices.
Vegetables must be washed properly first and then chopped.
The process to prepare it:
• If you have already washed the rice it’s okay then. In case you haven’t please do wash it.
• Heat the pressure cooker and after getting it a bit heated add 5-6 spoons of cooking oil into it.
• Now add cumin seeds to it. Let it turn dark.
• Now add chopped garlic, chillies and ginger into it.
• Let it turn golden.
• After it gets a golden colour, add all the finely chopped veggies.
• Add turmeric half spoon and salt according to your preference.
• Mix them well and cover the pressure cooker with its lid for 6-7 minutes.
• After 6-7 minutes remove the lid and mix it better.
• Now add all the spices I have suggested and mentioned.
• Vegetable spices and ground spices are both according to your taste.
• Now mix it well and cover with a lid for 5 minutes more.
• Remove the lid and add the washed rice into it. Mix it well and add only that amount of water to it that you add when you make rice in daily life.
• The rice should not be sticky type. So don’t add more water unnecessarily because we are not making khichdi. We are making Tehri.
• Now cover it with the cooker’s lid and let it give one whistle. After it gives one whistle turn off the flame and let the lid steam on its own.
After that, you can serve it by garnishing with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Points to remember:
• Don’t add more water unnecessarily because we are not making khichdi. We are making Tehri. Tehri after making will look like just steamed rice the difference is just that simple rice is just steamed rice and Tehri is delicious spicy veggie rice.
• You can add on various veggies except for gourd, pumpkin, eggplant, ridge gourd.
• Carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, potatoes, tomatoes onions, all the types of capsicums are trendy.
• In case of spices, if you have any other that can be good to taste you can add up.
• Don’t add more Tumeric as its taste will become bad.
• You can serve it with Salad, Raita and Yoghurt.
So this is the whole recipe. I hope you will try this out. It’s amazing and easy to make. You can serve it as lunch as well as your dinner.
Last Updated on July 20, 2022